Sunday, February 13, 2011

Tandoori Seafood Feast!
















Yes it was a feast, because I ate way too many shrimps for my own good!

I selected this recipe for the 'Stick To Your Ribs' recipe exchange for my facebook group. Also my trainer, Brian and I talked about what we were making Friday, he gave me the idea for this meal.

First I preheat oven to 375 degrees, and then I prepared some basmati rice with a cilantro pesto- cilantro, onion, garlic, oil, and lime juice. Saute 1/4 cup onion in oil, add 2 3/4 cups water or veggie stock, boil. Add 1 1/4 cup basmati rice and pesto, cook about 15 or so minutes on medium heat with tight lid on. Remove from heat, let sit 5 minutes or so, then fluff rice.

Tandoori powder (2 1/2 T) mixed with oil and orange juice (traditional, lime). Mix with yogurt (2/3 C) and marinate shrimp and scallops (separate, as cooking time will vary) for an hour. Top off with cilantro, and I added some Aleppo pepper. I bought medium spice tandoori powder, and it was not hot enough. Give the seafood space to allow heat to cook at a faster time. You do not want to over cook them either. Bake 375 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Once you pull them out, they will continue to cook, so plate immediately. How do you know the seafood is cooked? Trust me, you do not want to over cook them.

Served over mix green and mache salad. Orange Raita is 1 orange- segments, orange juice of one small clementine, 2/3 cup yogurt, 1/2 onion- small slivers, 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, some small chopped tomato pieces, 1/4 cup oil, 1 clove garlic- finely chopped, pinch of salt. Stir and let sit about an hour before serving. Some might throw a pinch of sugar into the mixture, since I found the oranges I bought this time of year to be a bit bitter/sour. I found after it sat in yogurt, the mixture worked beautifully with the spice of the tandoori.

This was our Valentines meal part one. Next, Lamb Loin Roast with Tandoori...I opted not to have it all in one night, and I am glad; it would have been way to heavy, and I am off to the gym to a TRX class.

Happy Valentines to you and yours, and if you do not have one- take yourself out, or prepare a special meal just for you!