Monday, November 21, 2011

Got Squid? Ojingeochae Bokkeum











While trying Soju Bombs at a local Korean restaurant, we oreded this dish- Stir Fried Squid. I have grown to love squid outside of calamari platters, mostly fried. I even had the honor of cleaning and preparing them for the restaurant I worked here in Princeton. Hubby and my son often have eaten it in sushi restaurants, and on occasion myself. We definitely enjoyed this- Stir Fried Squid Strips or Ojingeochae Bokkeum.

There are great Korean blogs featuring this recipe.

I read how Koreans like chewy seafood dishes, like Abalone and how they even leave the center of fish filets in for a more chewy experience. Live octopus is another menu item you see in Korea, which we try fresh on Jeju Island. Still squirming. I know ewww.

Stir Fried Squid Strips and pasta right out of the skillet is one of my recommendations if you get to travel to Seoul. Seafood taken right out of the outside tanks feet from your table, kind of cool, and you'll know it's fresh.













My Korean Kitchen offers up a recipe for packages of dried squid you can pick up in Asian stores. When we were on the coast of Jeonju, we witness a woman cleaning and drying them for this process. Most markets there sell them in this condition, ready to take home. They will keep for months this way. You simply soak them, clean them, and cut them into pieces, or vise versa. Here is a post showing you how to cut up the squid- Korean Recipes. It is also a great site for recipes with some explanation.












Just outside of Geonju, Korea, off the coast you can see the rows and rows of drying squid. Cool experience firsthand.