Tuesday, January 10, 2012

NYE Part 2- Grilled 'Dry Rub' Chops

















See how these rib chops look? It's the one thing I miss about eating cooked meat in a restaurant, they don't use a real flame, well a coal flame grill. The charred outside is my favorite, besides the flavor and tender inside. Nicely smoked and cooked medium rare, but a good crisp crust on the outside.

The flame and temperature of the grill is important, but I have been cooking this way for so long I have forgotten the tech end of grilling. Let's just say hubby and I were licking our fingers after every bite of these chops.

These are a blend of rib chops and loin chops. We had discussed grilling lamb for New Year's but arrived at Whole Foods on Friday to find they were all out of, but two rib chops, so I chose nice fat loin chops, thick cut.

That night I cleaned and patted them all dry, figure about three per person. And I rubbed them with some cilantro pesto, placed them in a container, and covered them over night. The next evening after getting my charcoal and wood fire started outside I set the chops out to warm up a bit.

I made a dry rub similar to a blackening seasoning, but used vanilla bean and cayenne pepper as the main flavoring. Pat the chops on all sides in the dry rub and place bone side down first. Then grill on each flat side for four minutes each. Using the middle, the hottest part of the heat source. Shut lid, but be careful not to forget them or you will have made your own charcoal.

Salad: Arugula tossed with a cilantro pest vinaigrette along with smoked sundried tomatoes and grated Parmesan.