Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Spicy braised chicken- Dakbokkeumtang














My son returned from his stint in Korea teaching English with a fierce hunger for their foods. He and Yebyul, his friend made us dinner last week before she moved to NYC to study and work.

Spicy braised chicken (dakbokkeumtang)- can I, where do I, even begin with this dish. It might seem complicated, but they mix all the main ingredients together in a bowl and pour it over the cut up chicken. You can buy all the ingredients at your local Asian store. Don't think you have one? Have you checked? If it requires traveling to another area of town, go; it is worth it! 

It is a pot of chicken pieces cooked in a red chili sauce with sweet potatoes, red bliss potatoes, carrots and onions. Serve it over rice. Pancakes on the side are optional. My son's obsession.

Yebyul said it was one of her comfort foods when she is away from her mom. She said she cooked rice in certain kind of machine. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me until we were looking at electronic rice cookers and she pointed at a pressure cooker. I have one of those I told her.  She tried to eye the rice, but burned it. Not enough water. I told her. Smile.

She eyes all of her cooking. A sign of a good cook. Not that any of you who use recipes aren't good, but have you thrown a little of this and that in the pot afterward? Try it.

Kimchijeon will be highlighted next...otherwise try this recipe for Dakbokkeumtang

It is a video Yebyul and I watched. You'll laugh. And you'll understand the ingredients.