Friday, July 10, 2009

Not always pretty and some things in between...





















Things have been busy since I returned from Texas, but once again I have had allergies get the best of me, and not up to posting my creations. I have been cooking, and will be teaching my classes starting next week, so until then...I will post a few random things.

Recently I read a post on how presenting food that is attractive is more appealing. I do agree that when something looks pretty I might be more compelled to taste it. Now and then though I hear about a dish that taste fantastic, but it is in casserole form and it is not so pretty. One such dish was the 'Tator Tot Casserole', as presented in the above dish. This is just one of those things no matter what dish you reach for to serve it up...well, its just not going to spoon out right...

Down south I had to opportunity to meet a few blogs I follow, and follow me. One of whom, Allie@Fresh Confessions of a Screwed Up Texan. I like her photography, and well her writing style is just too darn cute.




















After talking via email a few times I decided it was time to show hubby not all blogs are fictitious characters, or would harm me in any way. Many of you out there are just darn friendly, and I would love to meet you in person one day!


















Blogging has brought a big big world... in very tight. I had to laugh when I showed up, because Allie brought along her 'friend', or should I say body guard (name to be kept private). Allie's hubby also called while we were visiting, and that made me laugh. No I did not tie her up, or hold her for ransom! We realized that she could be my daughter (her mother and I went to the same high school) with her giggles, sense of humor, and her creative talents. I look forward to a long friendship with both of them!


















We discussed taking better photos, she showed me a few tricks with my camera, we aimed at each other, aimed at the waiter, and the waiter thought we were nuts. Talked about her secret garden of blackberries that she will not reveal even to an out of town'er (Allie do you hear me... next time right!), and about the joys of motherhood, cooking, and life's ugly side...


















When we talked about meeting; there were two places left I wanted to (re)taste before leaving Texas. Call me silly, but I long for IHOP's multi-grain pancakes (they have my name written all over them?), because the only one in Jersey is too far away.




















Also, how about one last plate of sour cream enchiladas from Don Pepe's where my house still sits. I did get a little sad seeing my old neighborhood, and thought "Wow we did have a great house here", but then remembered the 117 degree heat, as I was sitting in my comfortable air conditioned rental... Until we meet again my precious flavors of the south...