Monday, April 19, 2010

Duck Egg l'orange Crêpe
















I debated on whether to share my video, because I realize it is not high quality- while making this dish in my tiny kitchen, having camera 'turning off issues', three lights (over me, behind me, next to me) were barely enough to see what I was doing on your end, as well as I was zoomed in close. I can say making a video while talking and cooking is difficult.

Making crepes is similar to making the dosai in the Indian home I have worked as a personal chef. Next time I will show you those, if I can get someone to help with the camera. If you want to watch it, go to CookAppeal on youtube, and type in Duck Egg Crepe to watch it. I find using my light box over and over boring, but it will help you see why I cannot just take regular photos with such poor lighting.

Mise en place-

1/2 pound of white asparagus, sauteed in oil/butter, softened, s/p
3 tablespoons of truffle oil
2 tablespoons of butter
- saute chopped white asparagus in truffle oil and butter until soft
(my feelings were this might have been better if chopped with cheese for a softer crepe center).

1 duck egg (Whole Foods)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup room temp water (possibly a few more tablespoons)
2/3 cup unbleached organic flour
1 teaspoon clementine, or tangelo zest (l'orange)
1 large mixing bowl
-Make a well in the flour, mix in duck egg (only one is needed as they are big to using two regular eggs); then begin to blend the mixture well; until you get a thin batter.

-Heat either a non stick or large saute pan to medium heat; pour about 2 tablespoons of oil into pan, and then take a paper towel and wipe most of it away, then place paper towel on small plate and save. Each time you make a crepe you will reuse this to wipe oil back onto pan.

-Pour about 1/2 cup  of batter onto pan and begin swirling until thin. Cook and repeat until batter is used.

-Fill each crepe with sauteed asparagus and cheese, and garnish with cheese on top.

1/2 cup sliced/grated cheese (morel & leek jack cheese= whole foods)
1/2 cup grated/soft cheese of your choice (garnish and filler)
  • You want the batter to be thinner than pancakes, so add a few more tablespoons water if it seems too thick (it will not spread around in pan if you have too much oil floating in pan)
  • Pour at least 3 tablespoons oil in medium hot pan, wipe with paper towel (above heat), but save towel in bowl, because each time you remove crepe you will wipe pan with more oil, and re-pour batter into pan and begin swirling, and cook.
  • When crepe is ready to flip it will slide in pan, flip and cook the other side- slide onto wire rack or on dish towel to cool until you are finished making crepes.
  • Fill each crepe with what ever filling you desire and keep warm in oven until ready to eat















I paired a red wine I purchased in Quebec (vineyards on the border of US & Quebec side) last October, but we felt it did not go well with the entree tonight, so saving the rest of the bottle, I will try it again with the duck eggs in another dish. A Vouvray would be nice with this dish, as asparagus is hard to pair, but with the citrus in the crepe, a Chenin Blanc also would work here..