Monday, August 1, 2011

Candied Walnuts















I wish the credit to whom I found a similar recipe used (altered by me) could be remembered- sorry, I forgot to bookmark it. So, the recipe below is a combination of my own experiments and what I saw on someones post.

My first batch was more walnuts and less caramel, in which I used with a Tandoori Shrimp Salad, then I altered it a bit more...

After eating this batch I realized they were very similar to a Tex-Mex candy we could purchase after eating at local Dallas, Texas establishment like El Fenix. Chewy goodness to ward off the spice of the meal. Or add some spice to keep the momentum going!

Candied Walnuts

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups whole or chopped walnuts

(Altered- 1/2 cup honey and corn syrup create a more caramel candy you can slice, but play with amounts before trying more).

In non-stick pan and on medium high begin heating mixture, let boil for about four minutes, constantly stirring with plastic or wooden spoon; quickly add baking soda and mixture will begin to foam and then rise; continue to stir for a few seconds; quickly add in walnuts and remove from heat; stir for a few more seconds and let cool for five minutes.

Pour onto parchment paper sprayed with non-stick spray. Spread out flat and evenly. Let cool over night. Do not place in refrigerator until it has completely cooled. Cut into pieces and wrap. Then refrigerate if desired.

May be used as caramel pralines, or separated for salads. I have made many batches and have added chipotle powder for spicy walnuts.