Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year with some Pea-zazz!














I grew up eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day. A southern tradition. Once I went out on my own I developed a taste for spicy everything, so chilies found their way into the pot. My grandmother made them in the pressure cooker with snap beans and bacon. I went a little north on mine.

Bacon, can of green chili tomatoes, frozen black-eyed peas and Italian flat beans, stock or broth, and a heaping tablespoon of Indian Tava Fry or Kitchen King powder, for that extra slam of heat. Then boil it on the stove until peas and beans are tender to the bite. I never measure unless its for a client, and they have given me instructions for something special. But it will all be good in the end.

This year I made a Sambar soup base and added everything but the bacon. Can't find it. Two different people in my house went shopping without telling the other, so my freezer is a war zone. I will deal with that later. You can buy Sambar seasonings in the box just like the other named spices above. And mash up some of the peas after they cook to thicken the soup base. I would add lentils if there were any in the cabinet. Hubs gave the thumbs up after eating a bowl, and he is not a fan of my concoction. Black-eyed peas are an acquired taste.

Happy New Year!