Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Curried Vegetable Soup


Winter is the season for soup, but in my house and café I cook it all year long. Some of my favorite soups seem to have some little kick to them since my mother was from Louisiana and we ate spicy foods at least three times a week. This recipe is so simple that you can play and add peas, crab meat, shrimp to step it up a notch. I like many others out there am always watching my salt and weight, so I stick to low fat and vegetable ingredients these days.

3 T Vegetable oil
2 teaspoons curry powder
(I use my own blends, but bought powders will work, and yellow powders
show the turmeric influence)
8 medium carrots, peeled, and small chop
4 medium stalks celery, small chop
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 clove garlic, finely chopped
5 cups stock (vegetarian, chicken, beef is acceptable)
(I make my own, or buy reduced-sodium and sugar free)
1 T lemon or lime juice
Salt & Pepper to taste
Loaf of good crusty bread
Fat free yogurt

Directions:
Cook onions in oil on medium, stirring for 1-2 minutes; add carrots
and celery, stirring for 2-3 minutes, and just before browning starts;
add garlic, stirring for 1-2 minutes more.

Add curry powder, stir and mix well; when it becomes fragrant then add
stock, and turn up heat to medium-high. When begins to boil, turn back
down to medium-low and simmer until vegetables are soft when pierced.

Note:
If you prefer your soup thicker than you can add a tablespoon of flour
or cornstarch to a some of the hot liquid in a separate bowl, stirring
and then adding it back to the soup, simmering another 10 minutes to
help thicken; of course you can always add bread slices inside the
soup bowl or cup before serving!
(this soup can be frozen for up to two months in air tight container)

Serving:
I add a splash of lime juice (or lemon), and a dollop of yogurt on top
for garnish. Slice the loaf of French bread into large pieces and
bon appetite!