Monday, October 20, 2008

Pear Port Cookie Crisp


The name is longer than it takes to prepare this tasty treat. I always confess I am not the Pastry Chef, but love to play with wine, spirits and beer in sweet or savory recipes.

When I first made this it was an idea that came from what to do with a bag or gourmet cookies my husband picked up at a local market since we noticed they were a over cooked (that batch was over looked). I had some pears, a bottle of port, and this became a favorite in my house. It is quick and easy to make with ready made cookies, or the easy crisp recipe below.

I also chose to post this recipe for the Food Blogging Event - The Seasonal Feast - Pears that you will find on News From Quail Hollow-
Life at Quail Hollow: Food Blogging Events for October

For the Filling:
7 ripe yet firm pears, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch dice
Port- Maserate the pear pieces 1 hour; tossing them occasionally at room temp
1/4 Cup Turbino Sugar
Cold Butter Pieces- If using ready made cookies you will need to place pats of butter atop the crumbled cookies to keep moistened.
Macadamia Nut Cookies- I use Pepperidge Farm brand, and approximately two per ramekin.

6 – 7 Ramekins- I rubbed them down with a little vegetable oil; then place a few spoonfuls of pear mixture inside; half way up, and making sure you add 2 tablespoons or more port juice to each one.

Sprinkle a pinch of Turbino sugar atop pear mixture (unless using crisp recipe below; covers it all)

Crumble approximately two ready baked cookies per ramekin, and then place pats of butter atop crisp mixture; this will help keep already cookies from burning.

Bake- 375 degrees; 20-25 minutes; serve.

For the Crisp Topping:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup turbino sugar
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 pound (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cubed and chilled (6-7 tablespoons extra for top of crisp)

Combine together dry mixture and cut in butter until it become crumbly. I use my fingers pinching the butter into the dry mix after running cold water over my fingers to keep butter from melting too much.

Sprinkle atop pear mixture; place a pat of butter atop; bake 350 degrees 20 minutes or until browned as desired.

This recipe depending upon heat source might come out with saucy from port, but that just makes it more fun to eat!