Thursday, October 16, 2008

Potato Leek Soup


Someone emailed me and ask me for a potato soup recipe because of the economy and the fact that they were stretching out the grocery budget to feed the kids, and I sent her this one. I grew up eating lots and lots of cheap food being from a low income family myself, and as I got older, a little wiser, I tweaked my mothers recipe; which was pretty much potatoes, milk, butter, salt and pepper, oh and a hunk of bread for dipping!

6 – 7 Potatoes- they say red bliss are the best; quarter them

Large Leek
- cut it open down the middle and soak in cold water to get dirt out; slice up in small pieces

Red Onion- cut up however you want its all going into the food processor in the end

Cream/Milk- 1 Cup

Butter
- 1/2 stick

Olive Oil- 4 T

2 Garlic cloves or seasoning of choice

It all goes into the blender in the end with a little veggie or stock of choice (I am a big believer in stock flavoring food better); if you cannot afford stock then add some carrots to this batch and boil them all together and do not throw the water away!

Brown leek and onions (carrots if you use them, sometimes I just add a few for the veggie factor) in oil, till they start to brown well.

Add seasonings of choice, I use two garlic cloves; stir in and saute for a few more minutes.

Add tators…

Pour in water/stock, just to cover a little over ingredients in soup pot; and boil until potatoes start to fall apart when you fork them (think of the politicians while doing this); add water/stock as needed (kind of like cooking risotto)

Reserve water in another container

Blend together in food processor; add just a little cream/milk while puree, otherwise it will go everywhere; add back to soup pot with rest of liquids; add butter, salt and pepper to taste; thin out with stock/water as desired.

Freeze leftover water in bags for the next meal you cook.

Going to Culinary School proved to me that my always roasting veggies in the pan before making ANY soup just adds that extra flavor, I even add the potatoes and turn up the heat, you will be adding the water/stock soon and that will need the high heat. This gives it a caramelized color, not the usual creamy white color, but all my customers at home and in the cafe loved the Potato/Leek version better.