Monday, October 19, 2009

Summer Still Lingers

























I can't help thinking about how summer just flew by this year. Going through some of the recipes and pics I have left over from my trips to Texas just makes me want to beam back and enjoy it all again. This dish I have posted works as a good crossover 'summer/cold weather' comfort food.

While I was with my friends in Dallas I made (upon request) brunch food. Cheryl wanted me to make spinach artichoke dip when I was there in June, but I ran out of time. Giving her idea another thought I decided it would make a good topping for English muffins. Spinach is good all year round dark green leafy vegetable, and was great as that days main attraction.

Simple, easy, healthy, filling, and delicious!

Lisa was not so sure about my dish, but decided to try one. Once she took a bite, she asked for another helping!






























I reminded her that as kids we witnessed Popeye's incredible strength from eating his spinach, and his came straight from a can. We get the benefits of adding extra flavors to ours.

























How about my incredibly blurry photo here of the spinach artichoke spread before it went into the oven. This is what you call 'in a hurry to feed hungry women'...

Spinach Artichoke Spread/Dip on English Muffins

Saute:

2 bags of fresh spinach
head of roasted garlic
1 can artichokes, in water and dice
3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of salted butter
Salt/Pepper to taste

-until spinach wilts; add:

1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup of heavy cream

-cook until liquid begins to disappear; toast English Muffins, and spread as much of this spread as you desire; sprinkle with cheddar cheese, and serve.

An afterthought: I should have broken an egg on top and made 'Green Eggs Benedict', but it was all gone by the time that thought hit the table!

I guess it will be next years 'Summers End' post...