Friday, May 27, 2011

#@!Fiddleheads!#%
















Well, I was upset because I thought of these unique nibbles after the fact this past week, or when the season was almost over. I often make them three or four times in the season for Hubby, he loves them! Luckily I got some to prepare in spite their time is really almost over. Hubby working long hours and traveling I have been cooking light for myself and simply had not been looking for Fiddlehead Ferns. We prefer to get them early on, but you can find them dragging into the end of May, maybe the beginning of June, but be careful. Ask the market where they came from.

The weather has been oddly cooler this month in my North Eastern area, so I was not surprised to see them in the vegetable department of Whole Foods. I have made Fiddlehead Ferns many different ways, but this is my favorite so far- Mustard Creamed Fiddlehead Ferns. I have made them with Gnocchi, and just as a side by boiling them, sauteing them, and with bacon.

I boiled them for 15 minutes, rinsed them, and began sauteing chopped onion, chopped pork fat, mustard seeds; then added 1 tablespoon of mustard, chopped garlic clove, salt and pepper, and about a 1/4 cup beef stock. After that boils about 7 minutes or so, I added 1/4 cup heavy cream and reduce for 5 more minutes. The crunch mustard seeds, cream and onion are wonderful with the flavor of Fiddlehead Ferns!

Once again I marinated some Lamb 'Blade' Chops for three hours in a house made barbeque sauce of lime, garlic, cilantro, tomato puree, vinegar, brown sugar, and grilled them medium rare to compliment these tender greens.