Tuesday, June 2, 2009

When someone hands you lemons...






















...put them to work!

I have posted about how much I love citrus, especially lemon flavor...on chicken, in dressings, and in desserts. Lemon Bomb Cookies was the last citrus dessert I had made, and let me tell you they are sour pucker up punched little bites. This time I wanted another pound cake, so I took a similar concept...sugar free, low fat, and a gluten-free base.

















Somehow laying with your foot up for a week leaves a lot of room for boredom. The fact that it also has been overcast and rainy the past few days brought on a wish for some sunshine, so I just created my own...with the help of my whimsical lemony persnickety character (remember play with your food)! A few of his friends would put an end to my boredom, but I am afraid they were not happy about being cast in my recipe...
















The lemon has a sort of Mickey Rourke look don't you think? (fifty miles of hard road) Each one had to audition for this lemony supreme cake. Oh well, now I have an announcement to make... Mindy @ Mindy Mouthful finally got her 'Cassoulet' post up, and we want to wish her the best. She is beginning the pack and is moving back to the states from her Germany/France border living quarters. I am kind of sad, it would have been fun to visit her, but she is pretty happy to return, and have access to some of her favorite foods and ingredients over her. Go over and say 'hey' to her...
















Now if you want to know how I jacked up the flavor in this pound cake, and gave that glaze an extra yellow kick...

Gluten-free cake, or regular lemon pound cake (using oil)

I substituted regular sugar for Splenda, liquids for lemon and orange juice, added extra extra zest, and added a lemony almond crumble in the bottom of the cake pan and poured batter on top of that. You must remove this cake as soon as it cools, and make sure you do not over cook. Once the sides begin to show some golden brown color, and tooth pick come out clean; remove.

Glaze- first, I poured 2/3 cup lemoncello a friend gave me last weekend over the cake; afterward mix- 1 cup powder sugar, 1 teaspoon heavy cream, 1 teaspoon yellow decorating sugar, 1/4 cup or more of strained lemon juice; mix well, and I found you could see lumps so I pushed it through a strainer; add 1 tablespoon butter if you want it to set up. The cake is not very sweet, but the glaze will help...