Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Take A Quiz With Me










No excuses right, where is the food post? Okay, I got an email that my new employer (school) wanted a budget for my culinary classes, and that means research...plus I just found out I will be doing an art showing along with my friend Gen, and need to get canvases ready...so, this will have to pacify you for now...osso bucco is coming...or I could...bore you...with how to put together a 'Kitchen Budget'...

New York Times, Health, March 17th Issue

What’s Your Cooking Personality!

INSERT DESCRIPTIONStuart Bradford

In today’s Well column, “Who’s Cooking? (For Health, It Matters), I write about how different cooking personalities can influence the entire family’s eating habits. Cornell University researchers studied nearly 800 family cooks and determined five distinct types. So what’s your cooking personality? Take the Well quiz to find out.

1) When I prepare a meal, I typically:

a) Rely on classic dishes my family has always enjoyed.
b) Follow a recipe step-by-step.
c) Substitute more healthful ingredients.
d) Go all out and try to impress my guests.
e) Rarely use recipes (inspired) and like to experiment.

2) Some of my favorite ingredients are:

a) Lots of bread, starches and red meat.
b) Beef and chicken.
c) Fish and vegetables.
d) A trendy ingredient I saw on the Food Network.
e) Vegetables, spices and unusual ingredients I find in the market, and all the above.


3) In my free time I like to:

a) Visit with friends and family.
b) Organize the house.
c) Exercise or take a fitness class.
d) Be spontaneous and seek adventure.
e) Take part in creative or artistic pursuits.
f) All of the above.

4) My favorite things to cook are:

a) Home-baked goodies.
b) Casseroles.
c) Foods with fresh ingredients and herbs.
d) Anything that lets me fire up the grill.
e) Ethnic foods and wok dishes.

f) what ever your little heart desires, and all the above

5) Other people describe me as:

a) Really friendly.
b) Diligent and methodical.
c) Health conscious.
d) Intense.
e) Curious.

f) A food nerd with the above qualities combined

There may be overlap in the answers you give, but is there one letter that you picked most often? Here’s what your answers say about your cooking style:

a) Giving: Friendly, well-liked and enthusiastic, giving cooks seldom experiment, love baking and like to serve tried-and-true family favorites, although that sometimes means serving less healthful foods.

b) Methodical:
Talented cooks who rely heavily on recipes. The methodical cook has refined tastes and manners. Their creations always look exactly like the picture in the cookbook.

c) Healthy: Optimistic, book-loving, nature enthusiasts, healthy cooks experiment with fish, fresh produce and herbs. Health comes first, even if it means sometimes sacrificing taste.

d) Competitive: The Iron Chef of the neighborhood, competitive cooks have dominant personalities and are intense perfectionists who love to impress their guests.

e) Innovative: Creative and trend-setting, innovative cooks seldom use recipes and like to experiment with ingredients, cuisine styles and cooking methods.

f) Just a darn nut, cook, and friend! You are a combination of everything but on a dash of B & D, and you intend to cook until you drop while surrounded by your loved ones.

Okay folks, the questionnaire is real, but I embellished on the f)'s, because many of us do not fit into any certain category, and honestly I have never wanted to. I do this because I enjoy exploring and it is a creative passion of mine.

I read recently read that we only exceed in what we really enjoy, and stress over the little things; when we should be enjoying ourselves. So no matter what you try and do to convince me...the flavor, foods, and friendships are what make a good eating experience!

STORY: Back in 1989 I saw this gorgeous cake in a magazine, so I followed every care in the recipe to bake it correctly, make it look just like the picture, and even tied a beautiful bow around it. As I walked out of the back room of my salon and carefully walked across the floor to set it down on the table for all my clients and fellow stylist to partake...while everyone oooo'd and ahhh'd...then my heel got caught on the rug and off the cake went...upside down and sideways *smash* on the coffee table! (and that was before digital cameras were in the hands of the experienced or me)

My whole day was ruined due to the fact that I wanted it to be perfect, so I could show off; when they all said it tasted great, and that they did not care about the presentation, they expressed they already knew I was creative in many areas. We should remember what is important is that we put our heart in sole into our cooking and that says a lot!

Go check out 'Everybody is beautiful in their own way' on Mid-life, Menopause, Mistakes, and Random Stuff...her blog is from the heart and she embodies the face of being human...