Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Smothered Steak & Bowling Night


When Momma is happy...the whole house is happy!


Finally after five days of my son being sick he worked a whole shift today and announced he feels like getting out of the house...



Even though he feels better (still coughing) and no fever...Mom says a few hours will not hurt...


He says "The guys want to take you bowling, and then we will come back and have dinner together, Okay Mom"?...





Sounds all good to me, get me out of here and I will run up and down the lane and get some exersize...








I am feeling pretty good with my lessons from the best player and neighbor, John...and hit my highest bowling score in years...ever! See my ball rolling down that lane like a pro...Strike!







So what do I feed me and five hyped up 20-30'ing males who want meat and potatoes for their dinner? Of course a southern favorite of mine...Smothered Steak covered in onions, mushrooms, potatoes, and carrots...with a side of steamed Sugar Snap Peas...I should call it 'Really' smothered because to save time I pile all ingredients on top and cook in oven...the original just calls for shallow fry in flour and cover with onions and bake...but mine is healthier with no frying...

Smothered Steak & Veggie Bake

Preheat Oven to 375 degrees-

-In baking dish layer all these ingredients-

Pounded and tenderized Round Steak or meat of your choice
Sliced Onions...red and white
Portabello Mushroom slices

-Season in order with olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper, paprika, red pepper flakes, worcestershire sauce, sprinkle of whole wheat or flour of your choice (makes gravy)

-Place on top, and once again season lightly with above mixture...

Sliced Carrots
Quartered Red Bliss Potatoes

-Cover with foil tightly, and poke five or so holes in top to release some steam

Bake 375 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until all is tender...

My favorite key ingredient for gravy with meat dishes- A splash of whiskey! The alcohol cooks out, but it gives it this rich flavor to the gravy...after you pull the pan from oven take a saute pan and add a pinch more flour, olive oil, and heat up on medium high for two minutes, stirring...add 1 Cup or more of the juice from pan, 3 tablespoons whiskey; while whisking to remove lumps and reduce until it coats the back of spoon; remove from heat.

-Plate and spoon gravy over meat and veggies.


-Rinse and steam sugar snap peas for about seven minutes on stove top...

Chef Mom'E is extrememly happy today!