Friday, December 12, 2008

My Christmas Wish is...



...that everyone have a plate full of love, fun, and good food feeding spirits, but this will not happen if we do not all pull together and help. A campaign 'Do Not Let This Bank Fail', and NJ bloggers are together putting out the word that Food Banks shelves are almost empty and over 37 million people each year are going hungry...

In a poverished family like mine growing up you had to learn to share just a cup of food or a few pieces of bread at times, and there was no room to be selfish. Every now and then my mother might tuck away some cash that would be enough to buy a roast or a whole big hen at the Piggly Wiggly for that special meal. Sometimes we would meet a family that had less than us, and my mom would find a way to stretch out the food and share. My little sister and I often roamed the neighboring streets asking for can foods or anything when our school would have local Food Bank Drives. This really taught me to help others!

Having my own children and household to care for eventually, I saw the need to teach them there are others out there that had far less. Sure we struggled, but I knew I could count on friends, foodbanks, thrift stores or a church, so we managed. Anelisa and Aaron's plates were full of love, kindness, and a strong belief in community as well as good food. The strength of community is an important lesson we all should learn.

Many families today struggle just like my family did years ago. They are going hungry too. Everyone today is on tight budgets due to the economy, but we can find a way to share what we have. Small gifts like a few can goods, bags of rice or lentils, some change, or even a few hours of your time would bring a smile on a hungry face!

Have you heard the call for New Jersey residents to help stock the Food Banks, or if you live in NJ you too can post a blog today...check out others at this link...
http://www.jerseybites.com/2008/12/bloggers-unite-to-fight-hunger-in-new.html

I have shared this news with my son, Aaron, and together we have decided in honor of his sister, Anelisa, who passed away eight years ago, he and I will give food to the food banks this year instead of exchanging gifts. We will also print gift cards that tell our other family members about the need to fill the shelves, and the danger of their neighborhood Food Banks becoming dangerously low.

Do you remember the tough times? What will you do to help fill the plates of the hungry, and feed others spirit with good will...