Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Vidalia Onion Bulbs and a Birthday Shout Out!

















Did you know onions lower Cholesterol and heart disease? Did you know they grow almost anywhere you plant them? My yard in Dallas had wild garlic and onions. They came back every year. You could smell them on the breeze, and thank goodness they were way out front, or I might have had to put clothes pins on mine and the kids noses every spring.

Whole foods had these beautiful bunch of Vidalia bulbs. I love onions. I know lots of people do not like onions or garlic. Why? You either hate or love them right?

To me, they add a layer of flavor to a dish that surpasses nothing else.










Vidalia onions come from short day, Granex type onion seeds. There are long and short day onions, something I just learned about. These onion bulbs, or 'sets' as they are sold. They start off about the size of a quarter, and are torpedo shaped. They grow into round onions, but will not last as long as the long day onions grown from seeds. So you must use them almost as soon as you purchase them.

Slice these onions all the way up their stalks, like leeks or scallions. Slice and saute two of them in olive oil, and with a dab of butter. Add a dash salt. Then add some slow roasted grape tomatoes and the haricot verts. The onion flavor came through wonderfully!

This onion dish was prepared as a side to a friends sweet potato Kugal and my slow roasted 'Blade' chop- Chai marinated Lamb. Post coming...

Today is also my son's 24 birthday, and he is in Korea- as a full time student and tutor, living with his girlfriend who is a teacher. Something he has always wanted, to travel the world and work. I get to see him grow and learn about this new culture every week- from his point of view.

I am always reminded around or on Mother's Day how lucky I am to have a wonderful son. They grow up so fast... Happy Birthday Aaron!