Friday, October 19, 2012

Hawai'ian Delights













Hubs and I had a second honeymoon in the Hawaiin Islands and our first stop was Duke's at The Outrigger in Honolulu, Waikiki.

We have been reading up on what is local cuisine, and one thing is you always want to eat local and fresh. The islands got a reputation years ago for doing Pacific Rim and Asian Fusion and that is now passe. Many chefs are getting back to their roots and we will be featuring Town on the next post.

I had read that Waygu beef has its popularity here, mostly veal and a paticular kind, but will share more later.

So we went for fresh seafood, and this dish was calamari. Not your usual 'onion ring' looking fried squid, but a chunky and very fresh tasting dish. The breading was light and the lemon aoili was the best. I didn't care for the pineapple sweet dipping sauce. I am not a big sweet sauce kind of gal, and am afraid that is all I will find on the islands, but they do have hot sauce for me.

If you get a chance to visit try Dukes. This is what you get while you dine on the big continuous patio...