Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Easy As Pie




















Many people had asked me about this pie they saw on my post a few weeks back, so I am sharing the recipe. This pie was actually made for my hubby's birthday breakfast celebration. I had made ice cream for the night before, but in our house you birthday can last up to a month!

Myself being a self declared sweet'aholic to the core I will admit however that I am somewhat of a picky sweet eater. I could however live on chocolate...

The look on peoples faces when I tell them "No thank you" after they offer me a piece of cherry, blueberry, peach, and often apple pie fresh from the oven; it breaks my heart to tell them I just never liked warm fruit desserts, mainly pie with all that gushy fruit. Refrigerated can be another story if I am jonsin', but still "No" to certain flavors. Imagine I married a fruit pie loving man! I just prefer fresh fruit, or mostly crust and crumbles. I have been know to pick off the crust and leave the interior. I know I can just imagine your expressions right now, so I usually decline before embarrassing myself in that way.

As a young girl my grandmother often made cherry pies that were devoured in minutes right after dinner was eaten, but not by me. I wanted the cake she had made. To this day I prefer cake over most pie. I will pick out the nuts in pecan pie, because I do not like all that gooey syrup, and even developed a mostly pecan praline pie for me and my son (yes, he is the same) for the holidays when the kids were younger. I did bake more back then, and have been revisiting today in my spare time.



















Call me crazy, but when I heard we were going to have pie brought in by someone else; which turned out to be this version of a cold fruit pie...well I was disappointed. This meant I had made nothing I might like, so there would be no sweets for me that night.

Once I saw them cut into the cream cheese pie and with lots of nudging I quietly had a bite from someones plate. I was sold, and now I can say I at least now, love 'one' fruit pie that exists.

Okay, the truth is I moved the peaches out of the way, and ate everything else. If I had my way it would have been covered in chocolate and nuts, and it would have been gone in minutes!

This recipe is great for birthdays, pop-in guests, or just for your own indulgence you have to try making this easy no bake pie!

With all the fresh fruit available to us during these next few summer months...this pie will make any room full of sweet lovers happy all around!



















NO BAKE CREAM CHEESE FRUIT PIE


1 c. heavy whipping cream
1 c. cream cheese
1 c. powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese and cream in separate bowls until smooth and creamy; about 3 minutes; fold whipped cream into cream cheese and sugar mixture. Spread into a baked pie crust. Refrigerate for two hours before placing fresh, frozen, or canned fruit on top. I also had been told to use apple jelly, warm it and brush it on for an extra added glaze for the peaches. The blueberries are not needed.

Refrigeration is a must. Over ripe fruit will not hold up, so only use larger slices of fruit that is on the cusp of ripeness. Going no higher than two layers of peaches (filling is delicate), you fill in the center totally with blueberries, or raspberries if you like!

If I do not get your response posted until Sunday night, well its because I am meeting Rachel @ Rachels Ramblings blog in NYC for a tour, and dinner at one of the hot spots, and staying over at hubby's sister in Manhattan...we will be filling you in on our adventure at a later date!