Sunday, January 3, 2010

Orange You Said Hellos
















My baking stint is over, and am now switching to travel mode. At least until I hit my son's in Missouri. Along the way, or after wards I will be stopping in Ohio, and then Chicago.

Orange you glad you said hello back?

A few blog hellos, and beware Romans carrying calories. What?

Okay I am traveling and dropping off 'sweet' gifts along the way.

You know who you are, so beware!

Oh, I need to watch out for myself.

I love Orange, and hellos.

Buttery goodness seeps through; not too sweet, but the right touch of rum and orange in the cake.

Nutmeg orange zest creme fraiche icing slowly drapes the cake, and what do you have?

Yummy  calories I say!

Easy cake. Easy steps.















Orange Cake

Preheat 350 degree oven


2 cups sugar
1 cup butter- cream together

4 eggs - beat them in 2 at a time

1 1/2 teaspoon rum, or vanilla flavoring- beat into mixture

3 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder- mix together in separate bowl

1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice, or store bought works fine

Beat in 1/2 flour mixture, alternating with cream/OJ mixture

Pour in greased baking dish.

Makes four 1/4 pan molds, and 8 1/16 pan molds- 17 minutes, or until brown on top; toothpick clean.

1 bundt, or 3 8 inch cake pans- 20 minutes, or until springs back; toothpick clean.

Icing

In a small bowl, grate- (no measurements, just till I felt it was enough)

fresh nutmeg
orange zest
dallop or more of Crème fraiche
1-2 tablespoon fresh orange juice

Stir and let sit over night

Add 1 cup powder sugar, and mix until a fluid icing; if too thick add small amounts of orange juice till desired flow; drizzle on top of cool cakes. To much flow, then add more powder sugar. Hardens quickly so move fast! (if ingredients are cold, then they thicken quickly)













HINT: My grandmother made this cake with orange jello powder sprinkled in the middle, and I have fond memories of eating the cherry, and strawberry variety as well!

Orange is not a favorite of my son, but he and I will be making Onlinepastychef's fudge...