Saturday, March 5, 2011

Who Wants Dessert?

















Lemon Cake that is!

I love citrus flavors. So simple, not too sweet, and something other than chocolate. My grandmother made this lemon bundt cake when I was growing up. She would take cherry jello powder and after placing half the batter in the pan, she would sprinkle the powder around the middle, then put the rest of batter and bake.

Lemon Bundt Cake

4 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar (I used 2/3 cups raw sugar, not as sweet)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk (I used 1 cup yogurt)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I used 4 T)
zest from 1 or 2 lemons (I used limes and lemons)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat your oven to 350° F (180° C). Grease and flour a small bundt or tube pan. Zest and juice your lemon.

With an electric mixer or by hand, beat together the eggs and sugar until thick. Gradually beat in the oil.

Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt, and then the milk. Beat until smooth, and then mix in the lemon juice, zest and vanilla.

Pour the batter into your prepared pan, and bake for about 40 minutes, or until the cake tests done.

Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 7 to 10 minutes. Loosen the cake from the sides of the pan with a spatula, and turn out the cake onto a rack to finish cooling.

These are the directions from my grandmothers recipe, I however beat the ingredients by hand, but you alter and do things the way you feel comfortable.

The icing is powder sugar, lemon and lime juice and zest, with 1 teaspoon of yogurt.

I of course only have a few small slices, hubby took the rest for his lunches.