Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Blue Corn Truffled Egg Wrap















I have to give credit to Doggy for this creation inspired first by him last November, and then by 5 Star Foodie this morning, Truffled Scrambled Eggs...

I had just seen hers, and noticed he left a comment about his similar Truffled Egg Toast creation he had made twice before, and then I thought to myself in a 'I am starving, it's time for lunch kind of way'... "I cannot take the torture of looking at bread and not being able to eat gluten, and I have not had time to make any new versions yet"!...and on top of it I am the worst about running out to work, or getting on the computer which is upstairs and then do not eat a good breakfast first thing in the morning. So today I decided to get on it...

I emailed Doggy and asked him to send me the link to his creation, I have truffle oil, eggs, and he suggested since I could not eat bread to do it on some greens and call it A La Argentine! Brilliant, but I still had a bag of goodies I had not unpacked from the health food store trip, and voila! Blue Corn Flour...yes Doggy I finally found it. Helps if you bug the heck out of the buyer *wink*

This chef then marched herself right down stairs and made my self a batch of blue corn tortillas, my way of course...you should let it sit for at least an hour to meld, but I WAS HUNGRY!
After all I did sneak away last night and meet an old friend, Rich, and a new Open Mic friend Suzy in Princeton for a little extra curricular exercise...back up vocals and dancing with the rhythm shakers...
1 1/2 cups blue corn flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup warm water

Combine dry ingredients, including the cilantro in mixing bowl. Stir in wet ingredients, only small amounts of the warm water needed to forms a ball.

Roll out onto quinoa surface board into about 4 to 6 inch rounds, for this recipe you will make a one inch hole in the center (Doggy's suggestion).

Heat up a cast iron skillet and cook on one side turning over as you pour the egg in the center hole drizzling truffle oil over the egg. Cook for about three minutes and then quickly flip again cooking for about a minute and then plate. Top off with desired ingredients...this was something I had never tried so far, truffles and eggs and it was pretty tasty!

Tomorrow it will be over greens and I will add it to my next 'Wrap' quest...
Here is the blog that started it all...i am the Egg Man...well for Doggy anyway...