Friday, February 13, 2009

Heart'y Red Lentil Lemon Grass Soup















Another busy week has gone by and with my extra performance art night on Friday I just did not have the time to get busy on my wrap experiments; which will happen Sunday. I did however find time to take a whole organic-range free chicken and make stock out of it for this soup. Something I would suggest doing ahead of time or one might not make this right after arriving home from their job on a weeknight.

Red lentils have been on my list to try. They are the fastest cooking lentil that we have on the market today (well I have seen that most split ones work this way). The skins begin to come off after about five minutes of cooking and they begin to come apart after about ten minutes, so you want to add them towards the end. During the cooking process (which I was disappointed with) the red lentils, or pink, change color to a yellow-gold. They are great for making soups and chowders. Most health food markets carry this variety.















I took some leeks, scallions, and lemon grass (all organic) and saute them in some oil along with garlic, red pepper flakes, roasted red peppers pieces, and salt/pepper to taste. I chose not to add coconut milk and just keep it...simple? Is that word really in my vocabulary...



















I was happy to find this lemon grass, because it is so not fun to chop up! Saute it to bring out the flavor...

Also, when you make the chicken stock, start it off slow in cold water. Skim off the 'muck' that rises slowly to the top, it helps make a clear broth, and simmer for three or four hours on medium-low heat till the chicken is falling off. Separate the batch into two...if not you have will a soup that is so strong with chicken flavor you cannot taste the other ingredients.

(repeat) Saute the leeks, scallions, and lemon grass along with the garlic, and red pepper. Add to the stock and add water to thin out the chicken flavor like it comes in those organic boxes of stock.
















This made at least four quarts of soup, so we have leftovers for the next few days and I will freeze some for the future...