Monday, February 9, 2009

Dried Cherry Wine Zucchini Salad

I noticed that Joie de vivre had posted a Poached Dried Fruit Compote recipe and I was sitting with a bag of dried mixed fruit and dried cherries in the cabinet. Not sure what to make I began looking for dandelion recipes that took a whole 180 turn when I thought about the addition of cherries, leaving out the dandelions and ended up with this salad, and it complemented the Mulled Wine Steak for our dinner.

I decided to post this separately because each one of the past three are worth shining in there own light, and I will be busy with my novel edits, clients, and my Cultural Art Expression for the rest of the week.

Dried Cherry Wine Zucchini Salad

2 medium zucchini, 1/2 inch sliced on the round
1/4 red onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup red wine
Olive Oil
Salt/Pepper to taste

In saute pan toast the pine nuts in a small amount of oil, and set aside. Next saute the onions and cherries for about 3 or 4 minutes, and add zucchini and season. Pour in red wine and poach for about 5 minutes, or until zucchini is tender. Wine will quickly reduce, so watch the heat. Mine began to brown, but it added to the flavor.

Toss back in the pine nuts and serve warm or cold.