Friday, February 20, 2009

Food Journal Friday

Making a commitment to go down the healthy eating path is a big one, and I have found writing down what I eat each day helps me to keep on track. I can see how much vegetables, fruits, and protein I am getting, and how many tablespoons of nuts and seeds I am eating. Even those can be full of fat, and we have to be careful not to over indulge now and then.

Having bloggers like Joie de vivre: An amateur gourmet doing her French Friday posts help me realize I am not the only one out there that has to watch what I eat nowdays...
















A whole week has gone by since I started this, and I will admit it has not been easy the past six weeks of no gluten, sugars, and limited meat proteins only a few times towards the weekend. Cravings for doughnuts, and stopping in for On The Border Tacos comes on like a runaway train.




















Deciding to eat in food combination s that help your stomach digest in a more efficient way has helped me feel lighter on my feet and seem to have more energy. With me is that possible, sure, I often was feeling sluggish, and had to push myself to get more done each day. I have chosen to limit starches for now, at least until I get more comfortable with the proper salad and protein combination. There are many nutritionist and studies out there that believe eating meat protein, starch and vegetables or salads together takes longer for our stomachs to digest, than just having two combination's at a meal.




















The real 'fun' of it all is trying new recipes, as I already do, but exploring new vegetable, raw, and salad combination's. I am also revisiting old ethnic salads that I had forgotten about, and as you have witnessed I am going a gluten free route with my wraps and flat breads, and have lots more to share with you! I am trying to approach this like writing my memoirs and make it a best seller in my book world!

The hardest has been replicating my love for Tex-Mex, but I tried a new 'Chickpea Green Chili Nachos' recipe and will post that next...