Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Chickpea Green Chili & Blue Corn Tortillas




















A few posts ago I made what I dubbed 'Green Chili Pesto' over meatballs and it was really good! My friend Gen liked it so much she wants me to make it again.

I just hit the Indian grocer for my dried lentils and picked up some dried chickpeas. The personal chef family eats these less often than I wish, so that I could play with them in food more, but I will entice all with this recipe...














Chickpeas in the can hold about 50% or more sodium than cooking them from the dried version, so that is a big no-no for someone with high blood pressure issues like me. They hold so many minerals and vitamins that when you cook them you should do it in a way that retains the water and you do not throw it out. My big experiment will be to soak them in spice brine to infuse some more flavor into them, and make a green chili with my 'TVP Chorizo' over my homemade wraps.

Soak them for about eight hours or over night covered in vegetable stock, cumin, chili powder, paprika, SALT and pepper (many recipes say throw out water, because of skins, but the skins will just be added fiber). Make your 'Green Chili Pesto' and place in refrigerator till you are ready to combine at the end (I doubled this recipe for the chili).

Now after the chickpeas have soaked, cook your 1 cup of TVP Chorizo with a chopped onion, and then pour in the chickpeas, water and all. Add a can of diced tomatoes (with chilies if you want more heat), 1 can of tomato paste and simmer for until chickpeas are tender and it thickens. Serve over homemade blue corn tortillas, topping with cheese or whatever your little healthy heart desires!















Blue Corn Tortillas (wraps and nacho chips)


1 1/2 cups blue corn flour
1/2 cup quinoa flour
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
2/3 cup warm water
1/4 cup warm beer

Mix together flour with fork; add butter and blend with fingers till becomes course; make a well and add egg slight beat, and then pour in beer and water; blend with fork until starts to form a ball, scraping sides. Knead in bowl with hands for two minutes and then lift up and out of bowl; knead a few more minutes with hands blending in any dry ingredients left in bowl.

Sprinkle cutting board with quinoa flour and pinch off pieces of dough- roll into balls- cover with wet towel. Take each roll of dough- flouring both sides and roll slowly out into large or small rounds; toss on hot non-stick pan to cook each side. Serve in covered dish to maintain warmth and softness(I slipped mine into the microwave on plate and covered with another plate).



















For nacho chips cook a little longer and do not place in covered dish then they will stiffen; slice into quarters when ready, and put together a little plate of nachos with the chili, cheese, and a dallop of hot sauce and sour cream!