Monday, July 20, 2009

Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Cookies
























I cannot help it. Once I started pitting that bucket of fresh cherries that I used for the Gazpacho, and some other things coming up, I had to use them up. Sure we ate one every five that I pitted, but hubby had gone nuts buying as much as he did. He does not cook, so how would he know that I had to come up with so many creative ideas for using them.























On a trip to the market I had seen cookies on a display. Old fashion oatmeal cookies with raisins. You know when you buy things like that, well you are taking a risk getting something fresh, and I like mine soft and chewy, not hard and crunchy. Oh, I am sure some of you out there like your cookies crunchy, so just take this recipe and bake them a little longer...and do not forget I changed raisins to cherries. Pulsate them in the lil'chopper, and add some nuts if you like. My first batch was forgotten, because we were watching a movie. They were eaten even with the extra browned edges. The rest of them were perfectly chewy and yummy. Just the way I like them!


















Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Cookie Sandwiches

1 1/4 cups Butter
3/4 cup Brown sugar
1/2 cup Sugar
1 Egg
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 1/2 cups All purpose flour
1 teaspoon Baking soda
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
3 cups Oats quick or old-fashioned
1 cup chopped cherries
1 container dark chocolate baking nibs

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Beat margarine and sugars until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add combined flour, baking soda, salt and spices; mix well. Stir in oats and cherries.

I took the dough and rolled it up in wax paper and let it slightly freeze; then slice 1/4 inch thick pieces.

Bake 8-9 minutes for chewy cookies.

Remove from cookie sheet, and quickly add a piece of dark chocolate nib on flat side, and place another on top; let cool. Remove to wire rack.

Store tightly covered, if they last that long!