Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Artichoke Chimichurri Skirt Steak





















Let's just face something here...when we go to each others sites and see those mouthwatering plates of food, we wish it was right in front of us! Maybe we had already eaten, but now we are hungry again. About a month ago I kept seeing steak or other dishes with chimichurri sauce. Hubby and I had already had flank steak not that long ago, and I do not like to repeat dishes too often. Honestly, my diet has gone up and down, but I refuse to give up, so meat is only prepared once or every other week in my kitchen to cut back on fat in our diets.

My personal chef client is mostly vegetarian, and we both have a great love affair with eating lots of vegetable based dishes each week. I even brought Quinoa and other gluten free foods with me to Virginia (just in case I could not find it locally). Lisa's farm has provided plenty of garden fresh vegetables to go along with my fru fru food. Her daughters loved the muung bean sprouts we let sit out over night. I will miss eating meat dishes like this during my stay here, but with all the hiking, river fishing, camping, and site seeing I already feel great!



















Artichoke Chimichurri Marinade


1 cup drained, canned artichoke hearts, small chop
1 cup (packed) fresh Italian parsley
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup lime juice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
2 garlic cloves, peeled
3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt



















Puree all ingredients in processor; stir in chopped artichoke. Transfer to bowl. Marinate steak for two hours on each side. Grill (I used grill pan, since we had lots of rain lately).

I grilled some asparagus to go along with the main course, and let's just say now looking back on my own dish...drool...I am making this again!



















If you are interested, I have posted some of my Virginia pics on my TMI blog...