Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Gift of Giving is upon us!















My own family was less fortunate in many ways when I was growing up, but my mom always taught me- you can always volunteer your time, and there is never too little for sharing with others. We would go out and collect can goods for the local church pantries, she would make extra pies and other food for the church to give to other families. Families are under stress during this time of the year, because of pressure to give their families gifts and to have good food on the table. Giving on all levels does help ease the stress on so many levels.

When my children were young and the holidays and cold weather would approach, we would volunteer to hand out blankets and meals. Anelisa and Aaron along with me, loved making others smile. However I also told them we should act as though it was Valentine's Day and Christmas every day of the year.

I was happy when my friend Elaine emailed asking to share the news about Silver Diner. I am hoping this becomes more than a holiday event for the company...

UOSS Proudly Announces 11th Annual Thanksgiving FEASTival Dinner
Hosted by Silver Diner in Cherry Hill and Cathedral Kitchen in Camden, NJ

Union Organization for Social Service (UOSS), in conjunction with The Volunteer Center of Camden County, will host the 11th Annual Thanksgiving FEASTival for Camden County’s low-income working families, veterans, and disadvantaged community members on Nov. 25 from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Silver Diner on Route 38 across from the Cherry Hill Mall and from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Cathedral Kitchen,1514 Federal St., Camden, NJ.

The Thanksgiving FEASTival rewards people with a luxury many of us take for granted – a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings and lots of holiday fun. UOSS developed the FEASTival 10 years ago in response to the need expressed by many working families struggling with the cost of providing a Thanksgiving dinner for their families.

Silver Diner and Peggy Grossmick, Operating Partner for the third year in a row is paying it forward by providing 200 turkeys and all the fixings to help feed 500 families in the Camden, NJ area this year.

If you would like to help in your area, contact local family services or government agencies to see what you can do. Make it a year long effort to help those in need. Some open mic performers have taken to performing at local retirement and assisted living homes to help bring music and poetry to a few forgotten elderly this year. Something we have wanted to do for has finally come to light.

For more information contact the Volunteer Center of Camden County at (856) 663-9356.

This year I have given many gift cards I myself received for gifts this year to others I knew might not otherwise be able to enjoy such luxuries. I myself have more than I need (my dish and catering closet is busting at the seams), and heard one girl really enjoyed shopping at the William Sonoma store.






Another company who is also interested in helping the less fortunate by bringing some of the leading fair trade artisan products is NOVICA. They contacted me a while back asking if I was interested in checking out their products. Novica is similar to another company here in Princeton which sells products many of us might not have access to otherwise. Doing this provides work and an income for those who struggle to survive in other countries.

Novica works with National Geographic to give talented artisans around the world a place to express their artistic talents and provide access to the world market. They have thousands of top fair trade corporate gifts and home decor items on the website. They have many things that would interested food blogs such as yourselves for entertaining during the holidays, or any day of the year.

Novica Philosophy-
At the deepest essence of our philosophy, we want to create a bridge between you and the many talented artisans across the globe. We want you to know about who you're buying from. We want you to feel that attachment to the product and to the hands that created it.

DISCLAIMER- I feel the company is sound and the products are worth their value. Actually many things are more than reasonably priced. Many friends who are local and artist from abroad as well as myself, believe in supporting the arts.

I have not been paid by either companies (Silver Diner, or Novica) for this blog mention. Actually I decided this summer not to continue promoting products on my site, due to my husbands and my own feelings about corporate shilling. This will be the last company CookAppeal promotes. The gifts received by Novica are being donated as gifts to the less fortunate. Purchase one of their products and make it an angel tree gift!

Try these links-

gifts for mom

gifts for him

bracelets