Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Recipe Request & Contest Goods
















If you think you are seeing double blog posts, sorry, but nope! I received a few recipe request (Alexis AKA Mom and others) for that casserole we had on Saturday; that my friend Anna Cmil had made, and she gladly sent it my way, so here it is guys and girls...

Biscuit Topped Italian Casserole

1 pound ground beef, 85% lean
1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
3/4 cup water
1/4 tsp pepper
1 package (10oz) frozen mixed vegetables
2 cups (8oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1 tube (12oz) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1) in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. stir in tomato sauce, water and pepper. bring to a boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. remove from the heat. stir in vegetables and 1 1/2 cups cheese. transfer to a greased 13-in x 9-in x 2-in baking dish

2) split each biscuit in half. arrange biscuits around edge of dish, overlapping slightly; brush with butter and sprinkle with oregano. sprinkle remaining cheese over the meat mixture. bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.

(feel free to sprinkle the cheese on the biscuits as well, just adds a little more look to it. also, this dish can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated before baking.)

Chef E could see this with fresh veggies and a nice vodka sauce!














Girlichef (Heather) had a contest, and I guess I commented that my sister would like the 'purple' salt since that is her favorite color, and they did not have orange! I won a sample, so I am going to take it to her when I go down to Texas in a month and we will cook something together using this lovely 'Merlot' Sea Salt. She is always complaining her kitchen is small, but I bet not as small as my condo kitchen is!



















Kitchen Rap & The Gourmet Girl Magazine was also having a contest, and I go over there to check out her info about other events and contest stuff, and was lucky enough to get this cookbook. Looking through it I have decided to make at least three things in the future. Once I make the dishes from this fabulous book it will go into the donations for my culinary students library (I will still have access). Who would think- Chef m'E, the non-sports fanatic would love this cookbook? The recipes range from comfort familiar to freaking fantastic, and is full of NFL player information all around. I actually could think of a few friends I might have to watch out for when they come over! Purses and pockets will be checked when leaving...



















Last but not least, because he is funny, cooks great food, and is an all around great guy...Buffalodick @ Opinions & Rectums, We All Got One! He donated a t-shirt for my students. He is going to help me devise a contest of sorts...hmmm maybe a chili cook off? The winning (chili) recipe recipient will receive this shirt and a new cookbook as a prize! Thanks Buff- we love ya!