Thursday, February 5, 2009

Green Chili 'Pesto' Meatballs


Well I have to say I have always loved meatballs and pasta, but the gluten went out the door with my dairy products *frown*, but hey as long as I can have a protein once or twice a week; then this chef is a happy camper!

Gloria Chadwick's new cookbook, Foods and Flavors of San Antonio is due out sometime in March and available on her site through Amazon.com. Her recipe for original meatball recipe caught my eye, and decided that after making her Chipotle Chicken Chili at the beginning of the week, I had to try playing with another from the book.

This is has a little twist to her original recipe...I made a green chili pesto instead and added it to the meatball mixture. Then I reserved some for presentation.

Green Chili Pesto

2/3 small can chopped green chilies, juice and all
3 green onions, chopped in small pieces
1 bulb garlic
1/2 cup cilantro
2 tablespoon cumin
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons salsa or canned fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons lime juice
salt/pepper to taste

Add ingredients in blender and puree. Makes about 1 1/2 cup.

Green Chili Meatballs

1 lb ground beef (grass feed sirloin)
1 cup bread crumbs (bran bread in food processor)
1/2 cup green chili pesto

Mix together and roll into 1 inch balls, fry in pan. Cook in seasoned diced tomatoes and serve over pasta, or with some brown rice for a gluten free meal.

I made Spanish brown rice for company, and they loved this version of meatballs. The green chili pesto made the flavor outstanding and was the biggest hit along with the pink cupcakes.

Spanish Brown Rice

I just cook the brown rice per directions using vegetable stock and 1/3 can diced tomatoes and for those of you out there that love semi-homemade, well this one is for you! (Alexis AKA MOM) Combine with 1 tablespoon cumin powder, 1 tablespoon garlic, and salt/pepper to taste.