Sunday, January 18, 2009

Baked Onion Soup


We had dinner at a restaurant in Cranbury, NJ early in the month, and I did not blog about it, because I found it disappointing all around. Hannah & Mason's was the name, off Main Street, Cranbuy, NJ.

I ordered an appetizer called 'Baked Onion Soup', and a meat dish. They came back way after we ordered and told me they had ran out of the meat dish, and since I only eat it once a month, I was disappointed...then they brought out my soup...was just a plain crock...yeah an ordinary crock of french onion soup...

My feelings are if you say something on the menu with a description of a unique dish; then this chef had better have what she expects... Hubby ordered the Duck with dumplings. He was happy with the duck, but the dumplings were fried to the max...yes, over done, greasy won ton wrappers with a tiny amount of filling...

So, what do I do, I start eying some Spanish Onions at the market and that light bulb goes off...I will make my own Baked Onion Soup my way...little bit of bread stuffing in the middle, pat of butter, saute some mushrooms, pieces of beef, and caramelize some onions in cognac...just add the beef stock, and man this chef gets all giddy!

Like I said in a large pan caramelize some onions after you have slightly cut off the bottoms and tops; use those onion pieces and saute with mushrooms, and some small pieces of beef, browning well; add 1/4 cup of cognac and a few table spoons of raw sugar; add 4 cups beef stock and reduce by half; place onions to sit upright in small deep casserole pan; place some whole grain bread into center; pour soup over top and cook slowly for a few hours covered with foil; let this sit over night; cook again for 1 hour in 350 degree oven the next day; then place in bowl and add piece of cheese on top and pour soup over and enjoy!

I love my onions, and this hit the spot with a glass of wine...eating light tonight since I made hubby a chuck steak with veggies, so this is my 'lean' and mean meal...