Friday, January 16, 2009

Comfort Food- Beer Enchiladas


My plan all along this week was to make a pan of enchiladas for a visit with my friend Gen, and saw a recipe on Alexis AKA Mom, and saw that before putting together this dish she uses beer to cook the chicken.

As it turns out I ended up cooking two batches for duo purposes and feel this is an appropriate post... If you find yourself in a situation needing to make food for a wake or funeral; then this is a good one.

First think of the work that goes into cleaning all those dishes people bring food in... Plan and purchase disposable pans to cut down on work and energy. These can just be recycled or thrown away.

I took four large breast and cooked them in a bottle of beer that happens to be my sweeties favorite! See he has a little country boy in him after hanging out with me for twelve years...

1 can diced tomatoes with chilies, 3 tablespoons cumin, 1 bottle beer...cook on medium until liquid is reduced by half and chicken shreds easily...

I break the corn tortillas in half (flour too) and place them up against the pan sides so that I get a nice even fit. I know it is prettier to serve rolled enchiladas, but face it folks they fall apart, and restaurants roll them to order...and as my father used to say "it all goes down the same pipe".

Layer sour cream, cheese, and shredded/chopped chicken for at least three or four layers. Once you reach the top you spread some more sour cream and cheese. Bake 375 degrees for about thirty minutes. I make this the night before, so I can relax and visit with my guest and family.

Sprinkle some cheese and chicken juice on top and into the 350 degree oven...

Serves: 6 large helpings or 8 medium servings

Sour Cream Enchilada Sauce (optional for plating)

1 cup sour cream
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup cheese
1/4 cup juice from chicken

Melt together on low heat and add to top of servings.

Alexis has some chef in her somewhere...and I have to say these tasted better than mine if that is possible...

This blog was for instructional only- Evidence of its existence was devoured...