Thursday, January 15, 2009

Gen's Lobster Cakes & Potato Wedges

I have this wonderful friend, Gen I have made here in New Jersey and I know she feels intimidated around me when it comes to cooking. She knows better than anyone I would like others to cook for me, and I am not a real food snob...well, sort of, but hey, if you want to cook for me...I say anytime...I get tired of being in the kitchen...it is what I do for a living...so bring it on...

When she told me what she was making, well, my mouth was watering!

Explaining to me that her, hubby and her family had gone to Molly Pitcher Inn for a weekend family dinner (adopted me please). Her family gets together at least once a month and the had a ton of lobster left over from her sister cooking shortly after that, so she decided to use it for another dish. Gen did a great job stretching out that succulent roasted tail meat in these cakes. She also wished she had taken a photo of the lobsters to show us how huge they were!

Her tasty roasted potato wedges were a wonderful accompaniment to the cakes...thanks Gen for cooking for the Chef...I will place my dinner order for next week over the phone!

Actually it is my turn to make her enchiladas for our weekly get together, so thanks Alexis for a new recipe to try...

I like the 'X' marks the spot red pepper garnish for the fork and knife landing right in the middle of these succulent cakes...Great job Gen!

Lobster Cakes-

1 pound cooked lobster meat, flaked
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
1 tablespoon freshly chopped dill
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
3 tablespoons finely diced onion
3 tablespoons finely diced roasted red pepper
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
panko crumbs for dredging
Olive oil or butter for frying

Mix together the parsley, dill, onion, red pepper, Worchestershire, lemon juice, eggs and mayonnaise. Add the lobster meat and crumbs. Season with salt and pepper and combine well. Divide the mixture into 8 portions; flatten into patties and then coat with panko crumbs. Heat oil or butter, enough to generously cover the bottom, in a large fry pan over medium-high heat. Fry until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.


Seasoned Baked Potato Wedges


6-8 medium potatoes

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 tablespoons dried parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Optional ingredients:

Cajun seasoning
Chives
Grated Parmesan cheese

Scrub potatoes and rinse under cold water. Pat dry. Cut potatoes into wedges or thin steak fries (about 6-8 wedges per potato). Using a large mixing bowl, toss potatoes in oil. In a small bowl, mix dry ingredients thoroughly. Pour over potatoes and toss to coat. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread potatoes in a single layer on an un-greased non-stick* baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, or until potatoes test done with a fork.