Saturday, January 10, 2009

Lemon Bombs

When it comes to citrus I like head on pucker flavor with a hint of sweet...I am in the mood to bake something thanks to Mistress & Alexis who both have nudged me towards revisiting my old habit from the pitter patter of four feet running about the house...

I wanted a cookie that was drizzled with icing and you just pop one into your mouth as it made your cheeks go *Zing*! I also added a pinch of my new ginger powder from the Caribbean...

Lemon Bombs

2 1/2 sticks butter (leave out at room temp to soften)
1/3 cup turbuno sugar (creaming this sugar can be hard, but worth it)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 T teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cup 50/50 flour (1/2 unbleached/1/2 whole wheat)
1 cup Quinoa flour

Coating:

1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 teaspoon lemon juice (use small amount until it sticks to back of spoon)

Cream butter, sugar and flavorings. Add flour and mix until a dough forms.

Roll into 1" balls (I made 2 inch and cut down the middle so they would sit flat on pan) and bake 1" apart on un-greased cookie sheet at 350°F degrees for 15-18 minutes until bottoms are slightly brown. Remove to another pan to cool; then dip and swirl tops and set onto a plate, and let set for half hour or so.

Using heavier flours and one that is gluten free can be a bit frustrating, but if you make them consistent in size and wait until they cool to dip in icing (holds them together better) then it is worth it.