Friday, January 30, 2009

The Countdown for Super Bowl has begun...

One, Two, Three days and appetizers till the kick off! I have got two parties to cater on Sunday, and I will drop off their trays, and run back home in time to watch...my friend Debra is routing for the Steelers, my son for the Cardinals...what do I do?

So far my clients have agreed to hors d'oeuvres, and they will provide the usual pizza and hot wings for their guest. I will provide four different finger foods, cheese and fruit platter, and some wine pairing for all...my next two days are busy...








Cut frozen pasty squares into smaller one, and then use one of those corn on the cob holders that sit in the drawer all year long to puncture the square, and cook them for no longer than 8 minutes in a 350 degree oven to rise a bit; then fill with diced sauted veggies and a little egg wash, and back into oven for 10 more minutes.

Saute mushrooms and red onion in a pat of Kerry Gold or your favorite butter, with a dash of olive oil to keep from burning. When browning starts add garlic, salt/pepper to taste and herbs de provence a few splashes of balsamic vinegar and red wine and simmer and mushrooms absorb liquid. Mix egg whites with dash of heavy cream and mix. Let sit over night to meld.

Red Cipollin onions; boil and peel; then cut into small pieces and soak in 2 parts red wine and one part apple cider vinegar over night. Use cheese as base and press onions down, and bake in pastry shells or I used pie crust cut outs.



The menu ideas began with low fat, but savory combination...blue cheese and balsamic mushroom pastry bites, along with an extra bowl for dipping crostini...using a dab of my Kerry Gold...




Red Cipollini Tarts are also on the menu...after I boiled and peeled them, and then soaked them in a little apple cider vinegar and some red wine over night...






A recipe I found years ago in Dean & Delucha cookbook...Spinach, Tomato & Goat Cheese Pie (originally quiche)...A favorite in our house for years...

This is my practice and taste test run for the hors d'oeuvres...these are a little something I picked up from Greg at SippitySup...he made Truffle Potato Boats...the flags...with the help of publisher and my printer...