Friday, January 30, 2009

Spicy White Bean Soup

We all love soup when it is cold, and actually I can eat it all year round. Maybe when I loose all my weight I could be known for the 'Ez Soup Diet'?

I saw that ChefBliss posted a blog about 'White Bean Hummus', and we sometimes are on the same wave length...I just decided instead of making hummus for the Super Bowl Game Day spread...I turned it into something healthier for me to eat for my lunches...I will be making other low fat alternatives for that day...

Spicy White Bean Soup

14 oz chicken or veggie stock
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups white beans, soaked over night
1 medium poblano chile, seeded & small chop
1/2 red onion, small chop
1 can fire roasted organic tomatoes (I do not salt when using canned)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon EVO

Saute onions and spices in olive oil until just before onions are clear and then combine all ingredients in pot and simmer until beans are tender. I used my pressure cooker; which I mostly use to make Rajima (kidney bean curry) or other lentils, but decided to try this.

Afterward I thinned it out with more veggie stock to cut back on my calorie in take. Sprinkle with some dried cilantro and red pepper flakes...and it tasted great!

UPDATE: Hubby ate his 'I *heart* You Apple and Blue Cheese Pies and told me he had never had such a think and it was a keeper! Tonight he will eat his Lobster Ala King his missed out on...