Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Cream Cheese Carrot Cake


My son's ex-girl friend came by to visit; they are great friends and she is like a daughter to me!

After days of eating my forced diet of sandwiches and soup because my son has been sick...another blogger gave me an idea...Lepkugen suggested I make cup cakes...I decided I wanted carrot cake...My son woke up feeling a little better and said "go rent Black Knight", and off I took to the grocery store...and this is what was left... I am a happy cooking camper now!


Carrot Cake

This recipe can make one big one like I did, but I doubled it and created layers... (organic ingredients)

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 cup unbleached flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 1/2 cup carrots, grated (reserve 2/3 cup for garnishing pieces)

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Flour and butter one nine-inch cake pan.

Cream sugar, butter and eggs. Sift flour before measuring. Resift flour with salt, baking soda and spices. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture and stir until all of the flour is moistened. Fold in carrots and walnuts.

Put batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° F until the cake shrinks from the sides of the pan and the center springs back to a light touch (approximately 30 minutes). Cool for 10 minutes in pan and reverse onto a cake rack.

When cool slice in half; ice layers and top/sides. After slicing sprinkle grated carrto on each piece.

Cream cheese icing

1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Cream butter and sugar. Add cream cheese and vanilla and mix until smooth. Makes six to ten servings