Saturday, December 27, 2008

I love Whiskey...and I love my Whisky!


Many of my female friends have not cared for my taste in alcoholic beverages. I almost always here about their friends or relatives who appreciate it as much as I do. This chef likes a good glass of wine with dinner, but rarely do we sit around and just have a glass without some kind of food to taste with it. On the other hand an inexpensive whisky late in the evening mixed with cold water while unwinding for the night sounds good to me.

Now when it comes to the $$$ stuff...I like it neat...two cubes of ice...and a splash, and I said a Splash...of water, and send my bill to another table...

I seldom drink a glass of room temp single malt whiskey or whisky (Irish or US made brands spell it without the 'E', as the Japanese) blend with out dropping a few cubes of ice into the liquid gold drink like those hard core shot slammers out there! I started off drinking in my early thirties with a Chivas Regal on the rocks...working my way up from there. Education taught me that Scotland makers and connoisseurs encourage this technique of adding some ice and water a little at a time gives you the variance in taste...

Suntory Yamazaki Single Malt Whisky- The first taste was so smooth that I immediately started thinking about what kinds of dishes I could create with this beautiful honey, peaty, earthy laced beverage...a story that begins with three rivers that all feed into a united place where waters are pure...Yamazaki was created...

I totally got lost in the video on the website...Japan’s legendary Suntory YAMAZAKI Single Malt Whisky is the masterpiece of fresh air, pure water, and four simple ingredients: the finest malted barley, water, special yeast strains, and noble oak casks...and it goes on and on...

Barley...this ingredient used in making whiskies has been one of my favorite things in soups and many other dishes since I was young...so, I believe I will make a few dishes leading up to New Years Eve that will reflect this ingredient, the whisky, and others from my beloved birth place...Texas...