Sunday, November 23, 2008

Buddha Hand Marmalade Scones


Last week we learned about Buddha's Hand Citrus; which in another blog I explained how to grate it all up and use it in a marmalade recipes. Well this is one of the busiest times of the year for my business, so it is time to make myself some scones with this very citric spread.

Many years ago I entered a baking contest making traditional English scones and lemon curd, and we were judged by a British panel. I like a challenge and I come from a long line of country biscuit southerner's who could whip them out like a sow having piglet's every third Sunday! I had never made scones before that day and only biscuits a few times, with some success. I admit baking is just not my forte, but giving it a try I won first place.

Traditional Scottish Scones-

By the Book ~ My Way

2 Cups Flour ~ 50/50 Organic Arrow Mills Flour
-sift into medium bowl; add next two ingredients and sift again...

3 teaspoons baking powder ~ 4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt ~ same
3 tablespoons sugar ~ 4 tablespoons, and I used light brown sugar

5 tablespoons shortening ~ 8 tablespoons butter; cut into pieces with cold knife, and one of my key secrets is that I cut it into the mixture with cold fingers right out of fridge, and quickly!

-measuring cup...
3 eggs ~ same
1/4 cup heavy cream ~ I added 1/4 cup orange juice, plus 1/4 cup cream
-beat together softly breaking yolks together

- pour into dry mixture, stirring softly till it comes together (you made not need all of liquid, or you may need a bit more cream for the whole wheat flour; regular flour would be just fine) DO NOT over knead the dough.

fruit optional ~ 3 tablespoons marmalade
(after tasting I felt I should have added more)

-Form into two five inch balls

On floured pan flatten into disks; moisten tops with cream and then sprinkle turbano (raw) sugar on top. Slice into eight pieces and then Bake 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, or slightly brown on top.

I catered my own wedding reception a few years ago making the cake with a similar method using orange juice; it was so moist and orangey the relatives and guests still talk about that cake!